Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Debt Collectors -- Part II

To continue our important discussion regarding debt collectors, let me begin by saying that I am amazed -- and dismayed -- by how many lawyers and so called "professionals" fail to grasp the opportunity which exists if you understand the consumer laws. Debt collectors are ripe for defeating IF YOU understand these laws.

The debt collectors are typically the ones who "growl" the loudest and yet they are, in my experience, the easiest to defeat. One way to defeat them, and settle for pennies on the dollar, is to use the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) against them.

The FDCPA is a key federal law regulating debt collectors, including lawyers who routinely collect debts on behalf of original creditors. I LOVE this law because I can turn the tables on the debt collectors. Not only can I often settle the debt, but in some cases you can collect money against the debt collector!

Talk about "win/win"!

One component of many in the FDCPA is the "Cease & Desist" component. Specifically, 15 U.S.C. Section 1692(c), when invoked, should STOP the collector from communicating with you -- no more harrassing phone calls, for example.

And if the collector violates this provision, I can use it against them to gain leverage for my client.

I'll let you go for now. We've been fortunate to represent thousands of well satisfied clients. I hope we can help you too! I promise, we'll fight like h$ll on your behalf!

God Bless,


Michael Mack, Attorney a/k/a The Credit Man

No comments: